Peer Support Professional Training Application
The role of a Peer Support Professional is demanding and requires personal emotional strength, a solid grounding in recovery, and excellent communication skills. Admission to the training has become competitive and not everyone is accepted. We cannot guarantee that you will be selected for interviewing. Our goal is to ensure that each of our graduates has a strong chance of completing the training and finding employment. Be thorough when filling out your application, and tell us why you are a suitable candidate and why you are passionate about doing peer support work.
Minimum Application Requirements
We recommend you fill out your application thoroughly so that we can determine eligibility for the training. Applications are due by the dates listed below. We cannot accept applications after the due date. Once we have had a chance to review all the submitted applications, we will reach out to you through email to update you on your application status. If you are accepted into the training, a $40 non-refundable deposit is required to hold your place in the training.
To speak to someone at the Network about the program, contact our Recovery Program Coordinator, Kristen Oldaker, at [email protected]
"This course was everything I hoped it would be and more. Learning with a group of peers with specific lived-experience (especially in the role-playing activities) was an extraordinary opportunity. "
- John K., Peer Training Graduate
- Confirm that you meet the minimum requirements listed above.
- Review the next available training dates to confirm that the schedule works for you.
- Complete the written application. Be thorough in answering questions. The application can be completed online or can be downloaded as a DOC. If you download the application, please fill it out on the computer so that it is legible. We can no longer accept hand-written applications as they are very difficult to read and you don't want us to miss any important information about you.
- Obtain a letter of reference from a third party who is able to comment on your interpersonal and communication skills (treatment providers and family members are not acceptable references).
- Applications are assessed for readiness and aptitude for peer support work. At this time priority is given to those already working or volunteering in a peer support capacity, however this is not a requirement in order to apply.
- Individuals will be updated on their application status 2-3 weeks after the application deadline.
- If accepted, applicants pay a deposit or provide a letter of authorization from DVR or sponsoring organization. Applicants working with the Department of Vocational Rehabilitation must sign Releases of Information for communication between CMWN staff and DVR counselors.
- If we are unable to accept your application for that specific training, you will have the option to be added to the list of interested applicants for the next available training.
Tuition & Fees
Tuition for the training is $450.
Tuition for our Peer Support Professional Training is $450. The value of our training is over $900, but with recent grant funding we have been able to subsidize the cost for our students.
Once accepted to the program, a $40 non-refundable deposit is required to reserve your place in the training. This deposit is applied to your tuition.
If your tuition will be paid by the Department of Vocational Rehabilitation (DVR), an authorization form from DVR will hold your place in the class. If your tuition will be paid by a sponsoring organization, we need a confirmation email from the organization and will send an invoice directly to them.
2022 Training Dates for Denver
Next Available Training Dates:
February 27th - March 17th. The deadline for applications and letters of reference is January 9th.
Our training program takes place over the course of 3 weeks.
Week 1 of training begins on the start date listed above and will be non-synchronous; meaning work will be assigned each day that you will complete on your own. Week 2 and 3 of training are synchronous, meaning you must be available in the Zoom classroom from 8:30 - 5 on the days of class. Week 2 classes take place on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Week 3 classes take place Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday.
Take the time to cross check your calendar with the class schedule below to be sure you can complete the class.
Week one is mostly asynchronous – students work on assignments each day and submit them through Google Classroom. A virtual training orientation is scheduled for Monday before students begin working on assignments.
Week Two :
Participants must be present in the on-line classroom from 8:30 – 5:oo on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday of that week. Participants will sign up for role play practice on Tuesday and Thursday.
Participants are expected to be present on-line from 8:30 – 5:00 on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday of that week. Students sign up for role play practice with instructors on Wednesday. The exam posts on Friday and is due by 5pm the next day.
Please note that applicants MUST have reliable internet and some familiarity with computers as we will be using Zoom and Google applications.
"The training team was organized, energetic, and professional. They also reflected their passion about this work on a daily basis."
- Karen B., Peer Training Graduate
Interested in Applying
Once you have reviewed our training information, please submit the following forms in order to be considered for our training. You can either submit your application online or download the Microsoft Word Document and return them to Kristen Orzel at [email protected].
*Please note, if you choose to download the application as a DOC, it should be completed on a computer. We can no longer accept handwritten applications as they are too difficult to read.