Peer Support Professional Training Application
The role of a Peer Support Professional is demanding and requires personal emotional strength, a solid grounding in recovery, and excellent communication skills. Admission to the training has become competitive and not everyone is accepted. Our goal is to ensure that each of our graduates has a strong chance at completing the training and finding employment. Be thorough when filling out your application and tell us why you are a good candidate and why you are passionate about doing peer support work.
Minimum Application Requirements
- High school diploma or GED
- Desire to assist others in their recovery journey
- Personal lived experience with a mental health and/or substance use condition
- Feeling established in one's own recovery for a minimum of 1 year
- Internet access and basic computer skills
- Commitment to attend and participate in all days of training
We recommend you fill out your application thoroughly so that we can determine eligibility for the training. Applications are due by the dates listed below. We cannot accept applications after the due date. Once we've had a chance to review all the submitted applications, we will reach out to you through email to update you on your application status. If you are accepted into the training a $40 non-refundable deposit is required to hold your place in the training.
To speak to someone at the Network about the program, contact our Recovery Program Coordinator, Kristen Oldaker, at [email protected]
2022 Training Dates for Denver
Our next available training is scheduled for September 26th - October 15th. In order to be considered for the September training, an application and a letter of reference must be submitted by July 31st.
Please read this information carefully as our program has changed. In order to train more individuals we have restructured our training program. The class will continue to be three weeks long. However Week 1 of training will be non-synchronous, meaning work will be assigned each day that you will complete on your own. Week 2 and 3 of training are synchronous, meaning you must be available in the Zoom classroom from 8:30 - 5 on the days of class. Week 2 classes take place Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Week 3 classes take place Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. Take the time to cross check your calendar with the class schedule below to be sure you can complete the class.
Week One: September 26th - September 30th
- Week one is mostly asynchronous – students work on assignments each day and submit them through Google Classroom.
Week Two : October 3rd - October 7th
- Participants must be present in the on-line classroom from 8:30 – 5:oo on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday of that week. Participants will sign up for role play practice on Tuesday and Thursday.
Week Three: October 10th - October 15th
- Participants are expected to be present on-line from 8:30 – 5:00 on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday of that week. Students sign up for role play practice with instructors on Wednesday. The exam posts on Friday October 14th and is due by Saturday October 15th.
Please note that applicants MUST have reliable internet and some familiarity with computers as we will be using Zoom and Google applications.
Tuition and Fees
Tuition for the upcoming trainings is $450.
Tuition for our Peer Support Professional Training is $450. (The value of our training is over $900, but with recent grant funding we have been able to subsidize the cost for our students.)
Once accepted to the program, a $40 non-refundable deposit is required to reserve your place in the training. This deposit is applied to your tuition.
If your tuition will be paid by the Department of Vocational Rehabilitation (DVR), an authorization form from DVR will hold your place in the class. If your tuition will be paid by a sponsoring organization we need a confirmation email from the organization and will send an invoice directly to them.
- Confirm that you meet the minimum requirements.
- Complete the written application. Be thorough in answering questions. The application can be completed online or can be downloaded as a DOC. If you download the application, please fill it out on the computer so that it is legible. We can no longer accept hand-written applications as they are very difficult to read and you don't want us to miss any important information about you.
- Obtain a letter of reference from a third party who is able to comment on your interpersonal and communication skills (treatment providers and family members are not acceptable references).
- Applications are assessed for readiness and aptitude for peer support work with priority given to those already working or volunteering in a peer support capacity.
- Individuals will be updated on their application status 7-8 weeks before the training starts.
- Applicants working with the Department of Vocational Rehabilitation must sign Releases of Information for communication between CMWN staff and DVR counselors.
- Accepted applicants pay deposit or provide letter of authorization from DVR or sponsoring organization.
Visit our FAQ for frequently asked questions about the application process.
Interested in Applying?
Complete the following forms. You can either submit your application online or download the Microsoft Word Document and return them to Kristen Oldaker at [email protected]
Please note, if you choose to download the application as a DOC, it should be completed on a computer. We can no longer accept handwritten applications as they are too difficult to read.