Peer Support Specialist Training Application
The role of a Peer Support Specialist is demanding and requires personal emotional strength, a solid grounding in recovery, and excellent communication skills. Admission to the training has become competitive and not everyone is accepted. Our goal is to ensure that each of our graduates has a strong chance at completing the training and finding employment. Be thorough when filling out your application and tell us why you are a good candidate and why you are passionate about doing peer support work.
Minimum Application Requirements
- High school diploma or GED
- Desire to assist others in their recovery journey
- Feeling established in one's own recovery for a minimum of 1 year
- Internet access and basic computer skills
- Commitment to attend and participate in all days of training
We recommend you fill out your application thoroughly so that we can determine eligibility for the training. Applications are due by the dates listed below. We cannot accept applications after the due date. Once the due date has passed we will contact all applicants to arrange an interview. If you are accepted into the training a $30 non-refundable deposit is required to hold your place in the training.
To speak to someone at the Network about the program, contact our Recovery Education Manager, Joann Calabrese, at [email protected]
2020 Training Dates for Denver
|August 17 - September 3, 2020||Last date to apply is June 1, 2020|
|October 26 - November 13, 2020||Last date to apply is August 6, 2020.|
Applications for the April 2020 training will be reviewed in March and applicants will be contacted to arrange an interview.
Tuition and Fees
Tuition for the fall training is $300.
Tuition for the fall Peer Support Specialist Training is $300. (The value of our training is $900, but with recent grant funding we have been able to subsidize the cost for our students.)
Once accepted to the program, a $30 non-refundable deposit is required to reserve your place in the training. This deposit is applied to your tuition.
If your tuition will be paid by the Department of Vocational Rehabilitation (DVR), an authorization form from DVR will hold your place in the class. If your tuition will be paid by a sponsoring organization we need a confirmation email from the organization and will send an invoice directly to them.
- Confirm that you meet the minimum requirements.
- Complete the written application. Be thorough in answering questions. The application can be completed online or can be downloaded as a DOC. If you download the application, please fill it out on the computer so that it is legible. We can no longer accept hand-written applications as they are very difficult to read and you don't want us to miss any important information about you.
- Obtain a letter of reference from a third party who is able to comment on your interpersonal and communication skills (treatment providers and family are not acceptable references)
- Applications are assessed for readiness and aptitude for peer support work with priority given to those already working or volunteering in a peer support capacity.
- Applicants are notified of acceptance
- Applicants working with the Department of Vocational Rehabilitation must sign Releases of Information for communication between CMWN staff and DVR counselors
- Accepted applicants pay deposit or provide letter of authorization from DVR or sponsoring organization.
Visit our FAQ for frequently asked questions about the application process.
Interested in Applying?
Complete the following forms online and return them to Joann Calabrese at [email protected]
Please note, if you choose to download the application as a DOC, it should be completed on a computer. We can no longer accept handwritten applications as they are too difficult to read.